How we’ve reduced our packaging
As part of our goal to wear more, waste less, we’ve been working to reduce the packaging we use. This is what we’ve done so far:
- Removed the handle from our mailing bags. This was 140mm of material that wasn’t used. You get your Gymshark order delivered straight to your door, so what’s the point of a handle? By removing this, we saved around 13% of the bag’s total weight (averaged across all sizes).
- Removed the paper returns forms and labels from every order, and made the process digital instead. As well as making the returns process a lot less hassle, it saves around 6.7g per order.
- Reduced the thickness of our mailing bags. We started at 100 micron, then reduced it to 65/80 micron while changing the material to use 80% post-consumer waste. We then reduced it further to 50/50/75 micron, keeping 80% of recycled content.
- Our product bags use 100% recycled content. This is why they’re a bit cloudy and can look different from bag to bag - the recycled material means we can’t control how it looks.
Of course, we’re still totally aware of the negative sides of plastics. These include:
- Plastics that come from fossil fuels, which are a finite resource.
- Some plastics can take up to 500 years (or unknown timescales) to degrade if they end up in landfill.
- While rigid plastic is easily recycled at home, you need to take soft plastics to bigger stores if you want to recycle them, which puts all the responsibility on you.
- Plastics are dangerous for wildlife if they end up in the ocean or other natural environments.
To work against these issues, we’re looking into alternative materials while still balancing our carbon footprint, use of resource, and the ease and availability of recycling.
GYMSHARK REGENT STREET PACKAGING
We use FSC certified paper, which means the paper is sourced from responsibly managed forests, and we use recycled content where we can. Any varnishes added to the paper are water based to make recycling easy, and even the handles of our carrier bags are made from paper.
OUR HANG TAGS
We use hang tags at Gymshark Regent St. to help you easily find sizing, price, and fabric info. They’re made from FSC certified paper (including the string) so everything can go straight into the recycling bin.
Gymshark Regent St.’s carrier bags, boxes, sleeves and hang tags can all be recycled at home in your normal recycling bin. They’re 100% paper, including the string on the hang tag. All you have to do is remove the metal safety pin and put the rest into your recycling bin.